Yahoo! Contributor Network
This article was created on the Yahoo! Contributor Network, where users like you are published on Yahoo! every day. Learn more »Yahoo! Contributor Network
15 Random Thoughts About the Kentucky Wildcats: Fan’s Take
1. Marquis Teague is shooting 80% from three-point range. He won't finish at 80% but if he can knock down threes consistently, opposing coaches are going to have trouble coming up with game plans for Kentucky. They can't stop everything.
2. It is early, of course, but Teauge has a lot of work to do at point guard. All he needs to do is get 6-8 assists per game, limit the turnovers, play great defense, and leave the scoring to the other guys.
3. Those that think Eloy Vargas' value is in hacking might not have noticed but he has improved. He doesn't get out of position as much and secures rebounds when he gets his hands on them. If Vargas can give John Calipari a solid 12 - 15 minutes, it would provide flexibility and help keep Anthony Davis fresh by banging the big boys down low.
4. The Cats will have a seven man rotation not counting Vargas. This shouldn't be a problem except for point guard. Doron Lamb or Darius Miller might see some time at that spot.
5. Lamb will lead the team in scoring. He was already one of the top three point shooters in the country going into the season. He added some muscle which should help him get to the hoop and finish his shots in traffic. He should be good for 18 - 20 points a game.
6. Lamb outscored Penn State 17 - 15 in the first half.
7. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist will more than replace DeAndre Liggins' defense. MKG does it all. He plays great defense, scores, and rebounds. He is relentless.
8. Everyone on the team can handle the ball which should make them hard for opposing teams to press.
10. Speaking of comparing Kentucky players to NBA players, Kyle Wiltjer reminds me of Tayshaun Prince.
11. Wiltjer needs to work on his defense. Coach Cal knows that the Cats have to defend and "maul the ball" to win. Wiltjer's floor time may depend on his improvement on defense.
12. Regarding defense, Kentucky could be one of the top teams in the country at shutting teams down. They are long and athletic at every position. They bring pressure, cause turnovers, and block shots. The Cats make it difficult for teams just to get into their offense.
13. Coach Cal said on ESPN that the team's GPA has been over 3.0 for the past two semesters. Don't tell Bob Knight.
14. After beating Kansas on November 15th, Kentucky (the team with the most wins) is now 20 - 6 against Kansas (the team with the second most). However, over the last nine games against the Jayhawks, Kentucky is 4 - 5.
15. Coach Cal says he can't stand one-and-done but what about two-and-through? The NBA may be pushing for a minimum age limit of 20 and a two-year waiting period after a prospect's high school class graduates. Could Cal still attract so many players like John Wall, Brandon Knight, and Anthony Davis with the new rule?
Note: This article was written by a Yahoo! contributor. Sign up here to start publishing your own sports content.